Chris Nolan wrote:
The answers are wide and varied:

* History - MySQL has been an open source product for longer
* Flexibility - MySQL's different table types are ideal for some situations
* Performance - MySQL is the fastest database on the planet for most tasks
* Support - There are massive amounts of software out there that will interface with MySQL
--------------8><

Just to add a few more thingies:

Even though MaxDB has better looking admin tools (even the documentation is visually more appealing) MySQL is by a _BIG_ far easier to manage, learn and use (even easier to install!). I have been using both data bases for a few years now, I belong to both lists, the maxdb and the mysql list, i generally feel more confortable using mysql than max db, even the syntax used to admin the db seems to be easier to learn and use that the one that comes with dbcli(maxdb command line client).

You can embed mysql server, you cannot embed maxdb is another nice thing.

You can get mysql for free in almost every isp and webhosting on planet earth, maybe even in outter space, we'll see... =)

I guess the average is about 1000 persons that knows about mysql against 1 that knows about maxdb

You can even find more books on mysql.

On the other side, maxdb is a _VERY_ feature rich data base, it has triggers, views, and every thing that you might expect from any other comercial grade db. A lack of this things in MySQL does not mean that mysql is a rather inferior choice, most of this feature can be replaced or simulated with a little tweaking and a good knoledge of the sql and mysql api.

In the long run, i would like mysql to provide tools comparable to the ones provided by maxdb, things like a good gui to REALLY manage the db (i mean a tool that let me manipulate the my.cnf, just as an example) and implementing long awaited features like views and triggers (i know they are planned for 5.1 and above)

(I WISH) i could get a nice mix of features of the best of maxdb and mysql, called it MEGA DB =)

CONCLUSION: Download both, try both, subscribe to both list, evaluate them, there are certainly jobs, that both databases can perform equally, there are task that are better suited for one or the other. It's up to you. Anyway, we are here to help! =)

Best Regards! --

 |____  _____ ____   _    |Victor Medina M                   |
 |\ \ \| ____|  _ \ / \   |Linux - Java - MySQL              |
 | \ \ \  _| | |_) / _ \  |Dpto. Sistemas - Ferreteria EPA   |
 | / / / |___|  __/ ___ \ |[EMAIL PROTECTED]                  |
 |/_/_/|_____|_| /_/   \_\|Tel: +58-241-8507325 - ext. 325   |
 |                        |Cel: +58-412-8859934              |
 |                        |geek by nature - linux by choice  |