I have had this happen on 2 boxes one running Redhat 7.2 and the other running
Redhat 8. I can tell MySQL does not like not being able to write to the file anymore.
We were using MySQL 3.23 on one box and 4 on the other box. The table crashed. Causing
a lot of corruption. In one instance it actually took the table and zeroed it out
leaving me with no data, and having to recover the 2 gig table, then watching it
happen again.

Eric Gunnett
System Administrator
Zoovy, Inc.
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

dan wrote:

> the most popular would have been Red Hat, which doesn't have this limit
> you speak of, even plain vanilla install (no twiddling needed).

Not to spoil a perfectly good pontification ... but i have to say that
we have a Redhat8 distribution running on a Dell PowerEdge Server and
when Apache gets to the 2GB size on its access file, it does indeed
stop.  This is not old hardware (12months old).

So don't be spouting any sweeping statements.  If your distribution
doesn't have that limitation, then fantastic, good for you.  But for
others it is indeed a real limitation.

The original question was indeed a geniue one, and while the poster
accidently typed in the wrong size, i wouldn't be so quick to jump all
over him.

So the question still remains.  What would happen in MySQL when that
file isn't allowed to grow any further?