Well I guess it depends on what is meant by "Default".
I was using RH8 and had no such issues, even with RH7...

I think it's important to note the filesystem chosen
can make a huge difference.

as of RH8 and onward I'd suggest EXT3, especially for Peter's
issue of possible corruption - because it is a fully journalling
filesystem.

of course, a filesystem cannot (and will not) overcome issues with the
software or OS itself. It's always best to use the latest "stable"
Mysql (4.0.18 as of last I checked), and don't always upgrade "just
because".

too many admins will upgrade just because the latest thing is out,
if it's working, stable, etc, leave it alone. don't fix it if it aint
broke.

the point is, choosing the right options during install. myself, I never
had an issue with the defaults, even back as far as RH7, using files
larger than 2gigs with mysql. perhaps because I always choose the best
file system available at the time. I chose journalling as soon as it was
available, things like ReiserFS come to mind.

for me, large files was always the default, never had to choose it
manually or change any settings. oh well...

Dan.