At 22:04 -0500 4/6/04, David L. Van Brunt, Ph.D. wrote:
Okay, so I didn't miss anything... Good to know! Any way I CAN create an
output file with those names? Maybe if I make a table first?

One way, if tab-delimited output is satisfactory, is to just run mysql in batch mode.

In interactive mode, you get this kind of output:

mysql> select 1, 2, 3;
+---+---+---+
| 1 | 2 | 3 |
| 1 | 2 | 3 |
1 row in set (0.05 sec)

In batch mode, you get this kind of output:

% echo "select 1, 2, 3" | mysql
1       2       3
1       2       3

The first row is the column names.  The following rows will be the data.
Those are tabs between the columns.