On Fri, 16 Apr 2004, mayuran wrote:

> I would like to optimize the configuration settings
> for this beast of a machine, here are the specs:
>
> Quad Xeon 3ghz (4x2 = 8 cpus), 512 cache
> 16 gigs ram
> running Redhat Enterprise 3.0 AS
> All tables are InnoDB.
>
> I read this warning in the MySQL documentation:
> *Warning:* On GNU/Linux x86, you must be careful not to set memory
> usage too high. |glibc| will allow the process heap to grow over
> thread stacks, which will crash your server.
>
> But at the same time it says:
>
> # Set buffer pool size to 50-80% of your computer's memory,
> # but make sure on Linux x86 total memory usage is < 2GB
>
> Does this mean that MySQL wont make use of the 16gb it has total ?
>
> I had to set the value to 1G to make it even start up.

You should be able to get higher than 1 gig ... a bit ... 1.5 gigs perhaps.

But yes, unfortunately mysql and innodb can't directly use most of the
memory.

innodb has support on windows for using Intel's paged address
extensions (PAE) to have paged access to more memory using the AWE
interface, with a bit of a performance hit for doing so.  However,
that feature of innodb isn't available on Linux, plus it disables
innodb's adaptive hashing support, which can be annoying especially
considering mysql doesn't otherwise support anything like a hash
join.

The memory will still be used by your OS for caching files, which will
help... but that isn't really as good as if innodb could use it, since
multilevel caching can be a bit sketchy and some features of innodb
(again, adaptive hashing...) can only be done if innodb has the data
in it's cache.