I would like to optimize the configuration settings
for this beast of a machine, here are the specs:

Quad Xeon 3ghz (4x2 = 8 cpus), 512 cache
16 gigs ram
running Redhat Enterprise 3.0 AS
All tables are InnoDB.

I read this warning in the MySQL documentation:
*Warning:* On GNU/Linux x86, you must be careful not to set memory
usage too high. |glibc| will allow the process heap to grow over
thread stacks, which will crash your server.

But at the same time it says:

# Set buffer pool size to 50-80% of your computer's memory,
# but make sure on Linux x86 total memory usage is < 2GB

Does this mean that MySQL wont make use of the 16gb it has total ?

I had to set the value to 1G to make it even start up.

What other parameters can I tweak in the conf for maximum performance ?

Thanks