At 9:38 -0400 4/20/04, Stormblade wrote:
On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 11:32:22 +0300, Victoria Reznichenko wrote:

Stormblade <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Hopefully this will be the last snag...least till the next one :)

 I'm having a problem setting the charset to unicode (utf-8). If I
 understood what I read I can set each table to support a charset. But what
 I want to do is set the default charset for a database to be utf-8. Is this
 possible? If so how?

Yes, it's possible from version 4.1.0.

CREATE DATABASE db_name DEFAULT CHARACTER SET utf8;

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/CREATE_DATABASE.html

Oh boy, that will be a pain. I use a GUI (Navicat and EMS MySQL Manager) and so far have not seen a way for me to make it create a table with a default character set. Nor even change it.

Um, what?

If you specify a default character set when you create a database, any
table created in that database will have the same character set by
default.  Is that not what you are asking?

Well at least I know it's possible. Thanks.

--
Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team
Madison, Wisconsin, USA