I have a perl script which fork()'s many children and each
child is updating a table, and each child is inserting/updating
DIFFERENT rows - I split up the work so that no two children
try to update the same row so that no child has to wait for any
locks to be released.  The problem is, I am getting lock wait
timeout's still, its not consistant - sometimes it happens
sometimes it does not.  It might be due to next key locking.
Anyhow, has anyone tried to do something similar before ? How
can I have all the children update/insert without running into
lock problems.

I am using the latest production version of MySQL and all the
tables are InnoDB.

Any input is welcome.
thank you.