Hi!

----- Original Message -----
From: "mayuran" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.myodbc
Sent: Wednesday, May 12, 2004 7:56 PM
Subject: Innodb - next key locking

> I have a perl script which fork()'s many children and each
> child is updating a table, and each child is inserting/updating
> DIFFERENT rows - I split up the work so that no two children
> try to update the same row so that no child has to wait for any

if you use a UNIQUE index to access the rows, and the searched row ALWAYS
EXISTS for each query, then no gaps are locked in recent InnoDB versions. No
lock waits should happen.

Can you make a simple test case that exhibits the problem?

> locks to be released.  The problem is, I am getting lock wait
> timeout's still, its not consistant - sometimes it happens
> sometimes it does not.  It might be due to next key locking.
> Anyhow, has anyone tried to do something similar before ? How
> can I have all the children update/insert without running into
> lock problems.
>
> I am using the latest production version of MySQL and all the
> tables are InnoDB.
>
> Any input is welcome.
> thank you.

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
Foreign keys, transactions, and row level locking for MySQL
InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for InnoDB which also backs up MyISAM
tables
http://www.innodb.com/order.php

Order MySQL technical support from https://order.mysql.com/