Funny, I contacted ESRI with a similar question just
today. I want to download a huge file of ArcView/GIS
data for use in a MySQL database, but I wasn't sure if
there's a way to extract data from those files.

Someone replied that it can indeed be done, but I
haven't yet learned any particulars. I just want to be
able to extract the data into a familiar format and
then get it into MySQL. I have a Microsoft spreadsheet
(but not Excel) and the OpenOffice.org equivalent.

Notepad presumably wouldn't work because it doesn't
preserve table structure.

I'm not especially interested in the maps at this
point, though I'd eventually like to learn more about
GIS and include some GIS maps on my sites.