Scott Haneda wrote:
I can not seem to find the section in the manual that talks about the max
number of tables MySql can use, can someone point me please?

I have been asked to build a database which could have some potentially
interesting storage needs.

There will be a users table, there can be x users, if all goes well, x will
be 1000's.

Each user will be able to upload any number of records, with 100,000 being
the most.  Average would be about 10,000 records, but I want to plan this as
if average was 70,000.

The 70,000 records will have the following structure:
Id, first name, last name

So the table will be relatively meager in its storage needs.  Lets call this
table user_contacts.

If users become day 1000 and each of those users has 70,000 user_contacts,
that would be 70,000 * 1000 total records in one table, as users grow, this
becomes perhaps too many records in one table.  Or at least the potential
for it.

My next option would be to make a new table, user_contact-userid and make
one for each user, would would then mean, rather than one table with a lot
of records in it, there would be many tables with a max of 100,000 records
in it.

Can someone share with me their thoughts and suggestions on this?

If anyone thinks I should just allow one table to store all this, with that table having 70 million records in it, then I can of course go that road as well.

Another thing you may want to also consider when using huge databases (10M+); is the amount of time for searching and the overhead that would also cause. A with any search, regardless of the size of the database, it will take a small amount of time. Sure that amount of time would be around a couple seconds if even that. While a 10M record database could take significantly more. Which most likely that amount, may be even closer to about a minute or more. Now I don't know if a delay for searching the database would be a critical thing or not for you. Now of course, these time amounts won't be the same for every machine; nor are these time amounts be exact. Now if your are not in a time critical area, then you most likely won't care about this. Though, you may want to just do a simple query through a table, on your worst case environment; which from what you say may be up to about 70M records,and get an idea how much time it would take.

Chris