I'm not sure what the maximum number of tables are per database (512? 1024?), but I wouldn't split your data unless you really have to. 70 million records may seem like a lot for a table, but it's really not. Especially if the physical size of your data is small. Tables with billions of records is not unusual for MySQL. The physical size of the table is limited by the operating system you are running it on, which may mean 4GB. MySQL itself can handle terabyte sized tables.

You can also look into using InnoDB as your table type, which would allow you to split your database into separate files without the need to change any of your programming to reference the data.