Exactly. Think "HIPAA" and the methods used to secure data from the priying eyes of DBAs (supposedly) under HIPAA/Security.

Dan Greene wrote:

if the data is the concern, not the data structure, why not encrypt the data itself?

-----Original Message-----
From: David Crane [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, May 11, 2004 2:15 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: how do i encrypt the .frm file with a password

Since this database will be distributed, our users will be administrators.
If they are able to copy the files to another computer and set up mysql
themselves, they could get access to the entire database directly and export
any or all data. Configuring the service to run as a different user would
not prevent this. And, they would have access to the files as administrator.
As I see it, the passwords for users are only used by the service itself and
passwords are not applied to the files themselves. As for operating systems,
we are going to support Windows NT, 2000, & XP.

""David Crane"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I need to provide some security to a database that I am

working on. This

database will be distributed and I need to prevent users

from being able

simply copy the files and being able to have complete

access to it. I want

to do this: "Encrypt the `.frm' file with a password. This

option doesn't
do

anything in the standard MySQL version. "

(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/CREATE_TABLE.html) I

have recompiled

mysql to enable 64 indexes on a table. So, recompiling it is not a

problem.

Do I need a custom version or MaxDB?