How would password protecting without encrypting it be meaningful? (Answer: It wouldn't)

Look at PGP/GPG encryption, as an example of private/public key encryption. Feed the encryption program uncompressed data and get either keyed or password protected data that is encrypted and compressed.

This isn't a MySQL issue, strictly speaking, but I hope this helps you find an answer.