Is there a good tutorial on installing Mysql on one machine and having Apache on
another?

I'm thinking on  the server with Apache I guess you would just compile Apache with the
mysql/php and in your php scripts just point to the hostname of the mysql server?
Making sure you can talk to port 3306.

Has anyone seen performance issues with large databases and the results going over
tcp, instead of the local installs which i use sockets?

Some of my query results return 150,000 records.

Im just running out of ram on the machine with both Apache/mysql and I cant upgrade to
anymore memory for my dell server, at 4gb ram.

rob