> I'm thinking on  the server with Apache I guess you would just compile
Apache with the mysql/php and in your php scripts just point to the hostname
of the mysql server? Making sure you can talk to port 3306.

It's not a very big problem (loads of people have done it before you).
- Make sure php knows the correct host/port/user/password
- Make sure MySQL grants access to the database for the right
host/user/password

> Has anyone seen performance issues with large databases and the results
going over tcp, instead of the local installs which i use sockets?

> Some of my query results return 150,000 records.
>
> Im just running out of ram on the machine with both Apache/mysql and I
cant upgrade to anymore memory for my dell server, at 4gb ram.

In this case I (and my sysadmin) think that you will gain speed by using a
dedicated MySQL server (all the resources such as cached files, cpu, etc.
are available to MySQL alone), which will compensate a bit for the speed
penalty of tcp.

A query result of 150,000 records is a big though IMHO. With such a large
recordset I fear that php will be slower processing all the data than the
"slow" tcp connection (local network I hope) can feed the data.
Maybe you should consider different queries that do a lot of the processing?

Regards, Jigal.