Hi All,

MySQL 4.0.18-standard on RHEL3,  2.4.21-15.ELsmp kernel.

I have a table on one a moderate traffic site, and yesterday I had my client
notify me that some of the pages were not working.  Note that most of the
page content is stored in a table called "pageContent".

Now, about half the pages worked, and about half of the pages displayed an
error that was something like "error opening file pageContent.MYI".  All the
other tables were working fine, and when I pulled up phpMyAdmin to look at
the database, it listed the pageContent table as being "in use", and
wouldn't let me look at any of the data.  Trying to view the structure gave
me the same error about not being able to open the pageContent.MYI file.

Hmm, strange... I tried a "CHECK TABLE `pageContent`", and it returned
Msg_type of "warning" and Msg_text of "table is marked as crashed".  Great.
But, when I went back to the table list of phpMyAdmin, it no longer
displayed the "in use" message for the pageContent table.  Did running a
CHECK TABLE repair the table somehow?  I did not know it actually performed
any repairs.  But a subsequent CHECK TABLE return Msg_type "status" and
Msg_text "OK".  Furthermore, I no longer got the message about being unable
to open the pageContent.MYI file anymore.

What happened?  Did running CHECK TABLE `pageContent` repair my table?  Is
this expected behavior?

Thanks!

  -Josh