I am having some issues getting OpenSSL to work correctly.
I was able to sign and set up the certificates but thats it.  I cannot
seem to do much else.

First of all if I try and update my grants tables I get this error.

If I try and mysql_fix_privilege_tables I get an error that says:

error: Found option without preceding group in config file: /etc/my.cnf at
line: 1

Fatal error in defaults handling. Program aborted
my my.cnf file looks as follows.
-----------
cnf=""
cnf="$cnf [client]"
cnf="$cnf ssl-ca=$DIR/cacert.pem"
cnf="$cnf ssl-cert=$DIR/client-cert.pem"
cnf="$cnf ssl-key=$DIR/client-key.pem"
cnf="$cnf [mysqld]"
cnf="$cnf ssl-ca=$DIR/cacert.pem"
cnf="$cnf ssl-cert=$DIR/server-cert.pem"
cnf="$cnf ssl-key=$DIR/server-key.pem"
echo $cnf | replace " " '
' > $DIR/my.cnf
------------

So that’s not really working currently.  I was able to manage to get the
certs all signed and setup using MySQL official page.  Here is the problem
though.

The MySQL site says to:
--------from www.mysql.org-----
To test SSL connections, start the server as follows, where $DIR is the
pathname to the directory where the sample `my.cnf' option file is
located:

shell> mysqld --defaults-file=$DIR/my.cnf &

Then invoke a client program using the same option file:

shell> mysql --defaults-file=$DIR/my.cnf
------end from www.mysql.org----

If I try to do as it says, it will not let me run

mysqld --defaults-file=$DIR/my.cnf &

says I cannot do this from root which is fine because I would rather not
anyways.  so I modified it a bit and tried:

mysqld_safe --defaults-file=$DIR/my.cnf &

I then get the error

WARNING: Defaults file '/my.cnf' not found!

So even though my.cnf is in $DIR i path it out and run:

mysqld_safe --defaults-file=/usr/local/openssl/my.cnf &

This give me an error of:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] openssl]# /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe
--defaults-file=/usr/local/openssl/my.cnf
error: Found option without preceding group in config file:
/usr/local/openssl/my.cnf at line: 1

My my.cnf file is as follows, also taken from www.mysql.org

cnf=""
cnf="$cnf [client]"
cnf="$cnf ssl-ca=$DIR/cacert.pem"
cnf="$cnf ssl-cert=$DIR/client-cert.pem"
cnf="$cnf ssl-key=$DIR/client-key.pem"
cnf="$cnf [mysqld]"
cnf="$cnf ssl-ca=$DIR/cacert.pem"
cnf="$cnf ssl-cert=$DIR/server-cert.pem"
cnf="$cnf ssl-key=$DIR/server-key.pem"
echo $cnf | replace " " '
' > $DIR/my.cnf

So, I am not sure what is up with that.  Now just trying to log into the
server,

If I try to log in as root
I am able to log into mysql server now using

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql --defaults-file=$DIR/my.cnf -p

it then asks for a Password and I am able to get in fine.
Now root is just set normally requiring no ssl.

I did creat a user called hal that I added REQUIRE SSL; to the privileges
granting command.  Now when I try to log in as hal the same way using:

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql --defaults-file=$DIR/my.cnf -p

I get:

[EMAIL PROTECTED] sbin]$ /usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql
--defaults-file=$DIR/my.cnf -p
Enter password:
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: YES)

So I am not sure about that.  Does this have to do with the fact that i
was not able to run

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe --defaults-file=/usr/local/openssl/my.cnf

?

What does that above command actually do? I know that mysqld_safe starts
the server so I assume taht the
"--defaults-file=/usr/local/openssl/my.cnf"
Starts the sever so it looks to the my.cnf to auth. ssl users?  Anyways
any help you could give me would REALLY help.  I wanted to give you as
much information as possible...thanks...

Conner