I know this is a thorny old problem, but I'm having trouble resolving it.

Here's the set-up. I'm running Linux. The MySQL data directory (as configured
in my.cnf) is /share/mysql/data/ because I was sharing the data between Linux
and Windows on a dual-boot system. This set-up has been working fine for
months.

Some time ago I stopped using and removed Windows. So today I decided that the
/share partition should no longer be FAT32. I backup-up everything on it
(just simply copied the files to another partition) reformatted as ext3 and
copied everything back. Now mysqld won't keep running - ie, it starts up then
immediately shuts down again - and I found a message in the mysqld.log file
saying:

040508 11:10:24  mysqld started
040508 11:10:24  /usr/sbin/mysqld: Can't find file: 'host.MYD' (errno: 2)
040508 11:10:24  mysqld ended

But, the file host.MYD is definitely in the /share/mysql/data/mysql/
directory, although it appears to be 0 bytes (?).

I figured this might be a file permissions error, so I've tried changing the
owner for all the mysql files to 'mysql' (group is currently 'root') and
permissions are 755. This hasn't solved the problem.

Any ideas would be most welcome.

@+
Steve