-------------------
On Sunday 09 May 2004 05:29, you wrote:

| > 040508 11:10:24  mysqld started
| > 040508 11:10:24  /usr/sbin/mysqld: Can't find file: 'host.MYD' (errno: 2)
| > 040508 11:10:24  mysqld ended

| Check to see if mysqld is correctly reading your my.cnf, and that no other
| --datadir option gets passed on the command line before my.cnf is read. The
| easiest way to do it is to add debugging messages to mysqld_safe script
| (safe_mysqld in the older versions).

Well, I found the problem - after several hours of anguish! Turned out to be
something terribly simple.

Having checked that all the data files weren't corrupted, by copying them to
the MySQL datadir on my WinXP box and running them without problem there, I
edited my.cnf to revert to the default datadir (/var/lib/mysql). That worked
fine, using the old mysql table. I copied the data files to this directory,
recreated the necessary users and found that the tables now worked - but not
all of them. In any given database, some tables would work and others would
complain about not being able to find the relevant MYD file - eg, tasks.MYD
(note capitalisation). I had noticed that capitalisation early on, when
mysqld was failing to run because it couldn't find hosts.MYD. I found that
the file was actually spelled 'hosts.myd' so I renamed it with the extension
capitalised - still didn't work. Same deal with all the other 'missing' MYD
files. That's why I tried all kinds of other things, like changing file
permissions with every combination I could think of.

Finally, I noticed that the tables that didn't work were those I hadn't yet
renamed with capitalised extensions. It *has* to be that, I thought. I
renamed all the MYD files. Still the system complained about not finding
them. Then I also capitalised the extensions of the MYI files and bingo...

So, it turns out that my problem was an unhelpful error message -=sigh=-. But
it does raise a question: I didn't change any of those files - files which
had been working for months. I simply copied them to another extension and
then copied them back again. Does anyone know if Linux ignores case when
using FAT32 partitions?