At 12:22 -0700 on 04/30/2004, Eric wrote about Re: triggers (or too-many-crappy-questions):

Hi,

Can we have list for people who just like to give newbies shit? How about [EMAIL PROTECTED] How much have you guys paid for your support hmm? This is a free mailing list and I don't really see why people have to moan about a few simple questions every once in a while. The people who moan about RTFM crap are much more of a bother to me than a poor guy who doesn't know his way around mysql yet, doesn't get how useful and complete the manual is, and needs some basic help.

Thanks,

Eric

I've been on mailing lists that have attempted to TRY TO solve this problem by sending a "Top 10 FAQS" Message along with a "Welcome - You're now Subscribed" one to all new subscribers. This seems to help keep the RTFM type of questions to a lower level. Putting a mail-to link to request a new copy of the Top 10 message in the list signature (for those lists that add a footer signature) keeps the address visible once the user is on the list.