I'm trying to understand the delayed insert process to see whether I can use
it to reduce the load on mysql, and have the following question.

Are 'delayed inserts' which are queued but not yet actually added to the
database by the handler visible to selects on the table?

I'm assuming they are not. Hence, if I am using a table effectively as a
queue, where I insert records on one end and select.. limit 1 to pull them
off the other end, I could end up being told by the select that there is
nothing left in the queue, when in reality there could be a dozen records
waiting in the delayed insert handler waiting to be put into the table.

Is my assumption correct?

Cheers
Peter