At 19:08 -0600 5/4/04, Andrew Loughe wrote:
Hello,

MySQL version: 3.23.58

Each week I make a hotcopy of numerous database files.
I tar them and gzip them, and move them to an archive machine.

I then use a second machine to read from the archive, untar and ungzip
the files, and presto! I have exact copies of my databases running on
a backup server.

I even prove that the MyISAM files are the same using MD5 checksums.

Then why do I get different results from the queries?

The copied tables are sometimes missing weeks worth of data, even
though the MyISAM files appear to be identical.  Strange, eh!?

Random guess: Are you copying both the data (.MYD) and index (.MYI) files? If you set up the complete set of files initially, but then only copy the data files afterward, you'll be using index files that don't match the data files.

--
Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team
Madison, Wisconsin, USA