"Phil Ewington - 43 Plc" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have just installed mysql-4.0.18 on my cobalt RaQ4 and for the first time
> seemed to actually got somewhere! however, my existing PHP scripts failed to
> connect to localhost as the password has not been set after the install. I
> ran the following command (obviously seriously misunderstood the docs)
>
> mysqladmin -u root password new-password
>
> I thought the above syntax would ask me for the password but it didn't now
> all commands return
>
> 'Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: NO)'
>
> How do I actually set a password, and more importantly, how do I reset the
> password for root, and what did I do? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Initially user root doesn't have a password. If you set password you should specify
password when you connect to the MySQL server with -p option for command-line clients.
For example:

shell> mysql -uroot -proot_password

or

shell> mysql -uroot -p

and then type a password.

  /  |/  /_ __/ __/ __ \/ /    Victoria Reznichenko
       <___/   www.mysql.com