<Brad wrote>
Josh Trutwin writes:
>Javascript is a client-side language, the code is executed by the user's
>browser.  It has no way to connect to the database server and run queries
>so you need to use a server-side programming language like Java (JDBC),
>PhP, Perl, etc.  Tomcat is a decent servlet engine with a nice price tag
>(free) and PhP/Perl are pretty easy to get working with an Apache server.
>If you've never done this before, I'd advise to use PhP as it has the
>smallest learning curve in my opnion.

     It might be possible to build a backend php or cgi script that could
act as the backend access for JavaScript.  But it would definitely be a
kludge and fraught with security issues.  Mainly because you'd be sending
the requests, authorization, and responses across the net.  Rather than
just across the connection between the web server and the database server.
I have a PHP script that I've been hacking around with that I can send a
random SQL statement and get the results displayed in a basic web page
column headings and all :)  It isn't real pretty, but does allow me to test
out SQL and my skills with PHP.  Would I allow such access via HTTP, not
by a long shot.  It's just too fraught with security issues.
                 Brad Eacker ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

</Brad>
Hello list,

For those of you not familiar with developing web-based applications with
M$'s IIS, JavaScript **IS** available server-side. It's one of the two
languages you can use to write ASP pages. The only connection I have found
from M$ scripts (VBScript or JavaScript) to MySQL has been through the ODBC
driver but that doesn't mean there aren't others. The most recent driver I
have found has been version 3.53 so if you have a MySQL server more recent
than 4.1.x you will have to do some kludging to get it to authenticate. See
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Password_hashing.html   for more details.

Shawn