"Robinson, Eric" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 17/05/2004 13:40:10:

> We want to set up replication to guard against loss of WAN connectivity.
>
> All workstations should continue to use the MySQL server at the
> corporate_office unless the WAN link goes down. Then users at the
> satellite_office would switch to their own local server for both SELECT
> and UPDATE, until such time as the WAN link comes back up and the
> databases are re-synchronized. Then they would switch back to the
> corporate_office.
>
> Is this possible? Will it work robustly? I have been reading the MySQL
> manual and there are seemingly many subtleties to setting up replication
> correctly. I would greatly appreciate some input from the experienced
> members of this list.

Not easily, no. The problem is that there is no mechanism for propagating
slave changes from the slave back up to the master. If you do as you say,
then when the link goes down, you have two independent databases being
updated with no cross correlation at all. Synchronisation occurs *only*
from master to slave (hence the terminology). It is not safe to update the
slave, ever. You could continue to use the slave for SELECTs, but not for
updates.