In this case creating separate columns and making the values integers as
oppesed to varchar will increase your query speed.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacob Elder
To: Victor Pendleton
Cc: '[EMAIL PROTECTED] '; ''[EMAIL PROTECTED] ' '
Sent: 5/18/04 2:11 PM
Subject: Re: Simple table, 1.7 million rows, very slow SELECTs

On Tue 18 May 02004 at 02:03:55PM -0500, Victor Pendleton wrote:
> From this explain plan it appears a full table scan will be done. What
is
> the cardinality of this index?

Actually, they are phone numbers. I wasn't sure how this list would feel
about this but I am wring a National Do-Not-Call Registry complaince
tool
for internal use at my company. We are a real estate agency, not
telemarketers. We don't make a ton of cold calls but we don't want to
get
sued either.

My table contains all do-not-call entries in Massachusetts. They are
inserted in numeric order. Would it be faster if I broke it into columns
for
area code, exchange, and subscriber?

--
Jacob Elder