Jacob,

Don't worry about storing the leading the zeroes. Just left pad the
subscriber column to be 4 digits on output and you should be golden. MySQL
has a function just to generate left-padded numbers:

LPAD(subscriber,4,'0')

Yours,
Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

                      'Jacob Elder '

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>           To:       "'''[EMAIL PROTECTED] '
' '" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
                                               cc:

                      05/18/2004 04:05         Fax to:

                      PM                       Subject:  Re: Simple table, 1.7 million
rows, very slow SELECTs

On Tue 18 May 02004 at 02:48:45PM -0500, Victor Pendleton wrote:
> In this case creating separate columns and making the values integers as
> oppesed to varchar will increase your query speed.

Okay, I'll give that a try. How do I set up my column types so that a
leading 0 won't be stripped off?

Jacob Elder