I really thought that MySQL tried to produce MySQL cluster for common hardware and with the design principle; more nodes with common hardware, insted of few nodes with extreme hardware. That to get higher availability (Much like the GFS (Google File System)). If the memory usage (RAM) as I have seen being recommended (double the actual database size) for MySQL cluster in this blog: http://jeremy.zawodny.com/blog/archives/001868.html, I will probably never work for a company that can afford that kind of "super computers".

I today have a database using 20GB storage, which actually means that I should have at least 30GB (40GB recommended) ram using Mysql cluster. I am today running 2 machines with 2 x XEON 3,0GHZ and 2GB ram with replication. What I would like to add is more in that kind of range.

Is there anyone that have a comment regarding how MySQL cluster acts with common hardware (if at all possible) or knows other solutions that you can make high availability and share the load to the DB servers please give me some suggestions.

Cheers

Daniel

PS.
For those who would like to know more about the GFS: (http://www.google.se/search?q=cache:m0TMQYgIlIoJ:www.cs.rochester.edu/sosp2003/papers/p125-ghemawat.pdf+google+file+system&hl=sv)