Jonas Oreland wrote:

Hi Daniel,

Daniel Ek wrote:

I really thought that MySQL tried to produce MySQL cluster for common hardware and with the design principle; more nodes with common hardware, insted of few nodes with extreme hardware.

we do.

I will probably never work for a company that can afford that kind of "super computers".

I today have a database using 20GB storage, which actually means that I should have at least 30GB (40GB recommended) ram using Mysql cluster.

This could be 40 boxes with 1G ram each.

Hopefully this would increase the chances of you "...for a company" :-)

> Is there anyone that have a comment regarding how MySQL cluster acts
> with common hardware (if at all possible)

The machines that you used sounded good.

Btw: We're also working on adding "disk data", i.e. data that does
not have to reside in ram all the time. This will however probably not be finished until the end of this year.

Regards,
    Jonas Oreland

Thanks Jonas,

That sounds a lot better in my ears and will probably be even better if the data does not have to reside in the ram all the time.
Some followup questions to your answers though.

1 ) Just curious; e.g a power failure if the whole database resides in RAM wouldn't that mean data loss for the data that resides in the RAM or does the NBD engine "simply" add duplicate data on at least one node? If I have 40 nodes and a 20GB database would that mean that 1/20 would actually reside on 2 physical nodes and so on?

2 ) Except obvious perfomance enhancements with the whole DB residing in RAM, are there any other reasons why you choose that approach?

3 ) I have tried to locate information on when 4.1 will be released as "production release". Do you or anyone else in this list have any information regarding that?

4 ) I have also tried to locate price information on MySQL cluster but since it is included in version 4.1 would I be correct to assume that it is still the same license fee as MySQL Pro?

I think that is all for now

Cheers

Daniel