>From the docs at: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/CREATE_DATABASE.html

"Databases in MySQL are implemented as directories containing files that
correspond to tables in the database. Because there are no tables in a
database when it is initially created, the CREATE DATABASE statement only
creates a directory under the MySQL data directory (and the `db.opt' file,
for MySQL 4.1.1 and up). "

You can change the data directory with the datadir parameter.
(http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Server_system_variables.html)

To change after the fact, I think you'll want to stop the server, move the
directories, change the datadir to the new location, then restart... I've
not done this, so someone else may want to confirm.

Lou

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bono, Saroj AA R62" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, May 28, 2004 10:52 AM
Subject: location of created database

When I created a database (directly in mysql) from some random dir where
I started mysql, I found that it got created in the /var/lib/mysql dir.
I ran mysql from a dir where my C++ program is. I wanted to create a
database using mysql_query so I did mysql_query( &mysql, "CREATE
DATABASE IF NOT EXISTS abc"). THis didnt create anything. If it did
would it be created in the /var/lib location ?I want to create it in my
local dir (when I do get my syntax to work!). How do I tell mysql to
make the database in some specific location?
Thanks.