David,

I would recommend you check out the US Census, the USGS,  and the USPS. All
of those organizations have to deal with county-level information on a
daily basis. If anyone has publicly available data (which would include the
county codes you seek), they would.

You should be able to get to each of their respective sites if you first
visit the US Government's portal site at http://www.firstgov.gov.

Yours,
Shawn Green
Database Administrator
Unimin Corporation - Spruce Pine

                      David Blomstrom

                      <david_blomstrom@        To:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

                      yahoo.com>               cc:

                                               Fax to:

                      06/02/2004 10:21         Subject:  Codes for U.S. Counties

                      PM

I have a big database focusing on U.S. counties. I'd
like to assign each county a code for use as a key.
I'm thinking of simply using the state postal code,
followed by numerals.

For example, Arizona's counties would be arranged
alphabetically, beginning with az1, az2, az3, etc.

I just wondered if anyone on this list has worked with
counties in databases and is aware of a pre-existing
code system that's in fairly wide use. It would be
nice to make a database that's compatible with other
databases, if they share a common code for counties.

Thanks.