On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 18:16 , Lou Olsten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sent:

>For the time I've been testing, I've used the procedures outlined in the help to take
>my backups, which entails doing a FLUSH TABLES WITH
READ LOCK in my MySQL monitor, then going to a shell prompt and executing the
mysqldump utility, then issuing the UNLOCK TABLES from my
MySQL monitor.

>Now I'm trying to schedule all this and I have a question about using just mysqldump.
> If I use the --lock-tables parm, am I getting the same
functionality?  The reason I'm concerned is because the help says: The FLUSH TABLES
statement is needed to ensure that the all active index
pages are written to disk before you start the backup.

I cant answer your question directly, but I suggest looking at mysqlhotcopy

>Can I make sure that happens without moving back and forth between the MySQL monitor
>and the mysqldump utility?
>

>Thanks,
>

>Lou

Chris McKeever
If you want to reply directly to me, please use cgmckeever--at--prupref---dot---com
<A href="http://www.prupref.com";>www.prupref.com</A>
Prudential Preferred Properties
<A href="http://www.prupref.com";>Chicago and Illinois NorthShore Real Estate
Experts</A>