From: "McKeever Chris" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Friday, June 04, 2004 8:39 PM
Subject: Re: Backing Up a Database

> On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 18:16 , Lou Olsten <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> sent:
>
> >For the time I've been testing, I've used the procedures outlined in the
help to take my backups, which entails doing a FLUSH TABLES WITH
> READ LOCK in my MySQL monitor, then going to a shell prompt and executing
the mysqldump utility, then issuing the UNLOCK TABLES from my
> MySQL monitor.
> >

> >Now I'm trying to schedule all this and I have a question about using
just mysqldump.  If I use the --lock-tables parm, am I getting the same
> functionality?  The reason I'm concerned is because the help says: The
FLUSH TABLES statement is needed to ensure that the all active index
> pages are written to disk before you start the backup.
> >

> I cant answer your question directly, but I suggest looking at
mysqlhotcopy

> >Can I make sure that happens without moving back and forth between the
MySQL monitor and the mysqldump utility?

> >Thanks,
> >

> >Lou

> Chris McKeever
> If you want to reply directly to me, please use
cgmckeever--at--prupref---dot---com
> <A href="http://www.prupref.com";>www.prupref.com</A>
> Prudential Preferred Properties
> <A href="http://www.prupref.com";>Chicago and Illinois NorthShore Real