At 1:54 -0400 6/6/04, Minuk Choi wrote:
I have redhat9.  I removed the RPM install of MySQL, and instead installed 3
copies of MySQL-4.0.20 BINARY distributions into my /usr/local/ directory,
under the helpful instructions of Thierno Cisse.

However, it seems like now, the PHP RPM installation cannot find the mysql
extension.  When I try to load up phpMyAdmin-2.5.6(after changing the port
and socket values to reflect the mysql directory), I get

cannot load MySQL extension,
please check PHP Configuration.
Documentation

After prodding around, my guess is that because when I uninstalled the MySQL
RPM, the MySQL extension was also removed and the PHP RPM installation can
no longer locate the MySQL directory.

My question is... how do I resolve this; in the case of 1 PHP installation
and multiple copies of MySQL Binary distribution installations, make PHP
access the correct MySQL installation??

The general how-to-access-the-correct-server problem is solved like this:

The three different servers must be listening to different TCP/IP
port numbers and Unix socket files.  Tell your client to connect to
either the TCP/IP port or socket file corresponding to the server that
you want to access.

However, your problem is more fundamental.  By removing MySQL support
for PHP, you now cannot connect to any MySQL server at all.  You'll
need to reinstall that support.  I don't know if you can do that for the
PHP RPM without reinstalling the MySQL RPM; if not, you'll probably need
to rebuild PHP yourself, with support for MySQL included.

--
Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team
Madison, Wisconsin, USA