I have redhat9.  I removed the RPM install of MySQL, and instead installed 3
copies of MySQL-4.0.20 BINARY distributions into my /usr/local/ directory,
under the helpful instructions of Thierno Cisse.

However, it seems like now, the PHP RPM installation cannot find the mysql
extension.  When I try to load up phpMyAdmin-2.5.6(after changing the port
and socket values to reflect the mysql directory), I get

cannot load MySQL extension,
please check PHP Configuration.
Documentation

After prodding around, my guess is that because when I uninstalled the MySQL
RPM, the MySQL extension was also removed and the PHP RPM installation can
no longer locate the MySQL directory.

My question is... how do I resolve this; in the case of 1 PHP installation
and multiple copies of MySQL Binary distribution installations, make PHP
access the correct MySQL installation??

Thanks in advance,
-Minuk