Long ago, I would Reply to All, remove the poster's address from the To: line, and change the list address from Cc: to To:, all so the poster wouldn't get two copies of my reply. Then I noticed two things:

* Posters often request direct email because they aren't subscribed to the list.

* There is often a significant delay (several hours to half a day) in receiveing mail via the list.

So I decided to just Reply to All. That way, the poster is sure to get my response, and my direct reply may well arrive hours before the copy sent through the list. I figure getting 2 copies is less inconvenient then having to wait a couple extra hours for 1 copy to come through the list. Besides, it's easier for me.

If there were a list consensus that replies should go only to the list, I would do so, but I don't feel that's the case.

Michael

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

I do know this mail goes to the mailing list. It's right there in my CC
field. I also directly respond to everyone just in case the list server
does not.  Yes, you should receive two copies of this letter. One directly
from my mail server to you and another from the list server.

Are you asking me (and the other members of the list, since you sent this
there, too) to NOT respond to you directly but ONLY through the list? If
that is the case then please say so in your future messages as I believe
that many people in this list reply to both addresses (the poster's address
and the list's address).

I am very sorry if this has caused you any problems, Yours,

Shawn Green

Do you know this mail gets to [EMAIL PROTECTED] ?
it seems relevent, so  I suppose you do. Trouble is it baffles my mailbox
filters of course, and so creates sorting work for me, clicks and
scanning.

Could you all fix it please so you don't, which anyway is how lists are
intended to be run.