Alejandro Heyworth wrote:
Does anyone know when INDEX DESC will be implemented?

I'm storing time values and want to access the data from the most recent time value without sorting the result set.

Paul DuBois wrote:
I don't see any relationship between your two sentences?

Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
Why is sorting required at all? Indexes *are* sorted already.

I expect he's referring to mysql's poor performance when doing "ORDER BY indexed_column DESC" relative to "ORDER BY indexed_column ASC". I don't think he really means "without sorting." Instead, I think he means "properly using the index for quick results."

The manual <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/CREATE_INDEX.html> says "An index_col_name specification can end with ASC or DESC. These keywords are allowed for future extensions for specifying ascending or descending index value storage. Currently they are parsed but ignored; index values are always stored in ascending order."

Michael