That could be.  If so, it's a MySQL 3.23 limitation that was fixed in
MySQL 4.0.

So, what we are agreeing on is that MySQL 4.x does in fact support both DESC and ASC indexes?

If this is the case and we're doing something wrong here, cool!

I definitely think the docs should reflect this functionality!

BUT,

ALTER TABLE kneejoint ADD INDEX testindex (compression DESC);

1) SHOW INDEX kneejoint only shows ASC collation.

2) SELECT compression FROM kneejoint still returns values in ASC order.

We are currently using the 4.1.2 binaries (MyISAM) and the DESC index functionality isn't working for us yet.

I hear all of your comments on the actual storage of the data and understand that. However, the indexes should return values in the proper indexed order if the indexes are being used and they are.

Our experience is that ORDER BY ___ ASC on an ASC index is faster than an ORDER BY DESC on the same ASC index when the data sets are large.

Thanks for the help by the way! We are rapidly migrating our experiments to MySQL and trying to dump SQL Server forever!