I would like to upgrade my mysql server on Solaris from version 3.22 to version 3.23. I can find a lot of good information in the docs and online about doing a new installation, but I can find next to nothing that specifically addresses the steps to take to upgrade. Everyone I've talked to says that it is simply a matter of overwriting the 3.22 binaries with the 3.23 binaries. So I have several questions:

1. Does that mean that I simply need to redirect the mysql symlink from the old 3.22 directory to the new 3.23 directory?

2. If so, I assume I also need to manually overwrite /usr/local/libexec/mysqld and /usr/local/bin/safe_mysqld?

3. Also, do I need to do anything with the permissions? The INSTALL-BINARY instructions that come with this release list the following steps for a new installation:

     shell> groupadd mysql
     shell> useradd -g mysql mysql
     shell> cd /usr/local
     shell> gunzip < /path/to/mysql-VERSION-OS.tar.gz | tar xvf -
     shell> ln -s full-path-to-mysql-VERSION-OS mysql
     shell> cd mysql
     shell> scripts/mysql_install_db
     shell> chown -R root  .
     shell> chown -R mysql data
     shell> chgrp -R mysql .
     shell> bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &
     or
     shell> bin/mysqld_safe --user=mysql &
     if you are running MySQL 4.x

I know I don't need to recreate the user & group, and from what I've heard I don't need to run the scripts/mysql_install_db with this upgrade from 3.22 to 3.23 (or do I?), but whatr about the rest of the steps?

Sorry if this seems obvious to most folks -- I'm new to mysql and I didn't do the initial install.

--
Andrew Ashton