In the last episode (Jun 28), Ray Kiddy said:
> Is it in the plans to have a 128 bit numeric column type for MySQL?
> If so, in what kind of time frame? If not, why not?

I don't know of any 32-bit compiler that provides a 128-bit integer
type, which means for most platforms mysql would have to require a
bignum library (openssl or libgmp) to support it in any meaningful
fashion, and it wouldn't be very fast.

> Character arrays are obviously, but they are probably not the best
> way to get optimal performance. Native support for a 128 bit number,
> usable as a UUID, would be better.

You're not doing math on those UUIDs in mysql, are you?  A CHAR(16)
BINARY field to store a raw UUID in sounds pretty optimal to me.

--
        Dan Nelson
        [EMAIL PROTECTED]