Ok, I am stumped, mysql  4.0.18-standard, which was upgraded from 3.x, I ran
the fix_privs_something_or_other as well, has been working just fine for
ages.

Tonight I decided it would be a good idea to test one of the mysqldump's and
actually try to load it in.  Well, I cant.

I send in mysql -uuser-ppass datbase_name < back.sql and I get a
ERROR 1044 at line 28: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' to database 'zzz'

Strange part is, one table is made, then it chokes, I think it is getting
about as far as LOCK TABLES news WRITE;

So, I try and I try:
grant all on *.* to [EMAIL PROTECTED] identified by 'mypass';
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password: YES)

How do I get lock table granted to root as a global priv, I can not even add
other users as this priv since root is not allowed to do it either.