do a show grants for root@'localhost' and look at it privileges. If your
root account has been altered you can started the database with the skip
grant table option, log, fix the grant tables, and flush privileges.

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Haneda
To: MySql
Sent: 6/30/04 4:30 AM
Subject: Cant grant lock to root

Ok, I am stumped, mysql  4.0.18-standard, which was upgraded from 3.x, I
ran
the fix_privs_something_or_other as well, has been working just fine for
ages.

Tonight I decided it would be a good idea to test one of the mysqldump's
and
actually try to load it in.  Well, I cant.

I send in mysql -uuser-ppass datbase_name < back.sql and I get a
ERROR 1044 at line 28: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' to database 'zzz'

Strange part is, one table is made, then it chokes, I think it is
getting
about as far as LOCK TABLES news WRITE;

So, I try and I try:
grant all on *.* to [EMAIL PROTECTED] identified by 'mypass';
ERROR 1045: Access denied for user: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]' (Using password:
YES)

How do I get lock table granted to root as a global priv, I can not even
add
other users as this priv since root is not allowed to do it either.