I just tried installing 4.1.3 on my development machine today. To my dismay, I couldn't get it to start properly. I was upgrading from 4.1.2, which I installed identically to the procedure below.

On to the actual problem. When I started MySQL the first time I used '/etc/init.d/mysql start'. mysqld_safe was started and just sat there, eating CPU cycles. I couldn't connect at all. I checked the error log and found the log information that follows. I also tried manually starting the server. The results were the same but I discovered that mysqld_safe was continually trying to start processes and failing, apparently with the error show below.

I could not find anything, after a fairly extensive search, that even hinted to a problem like this. I downloaded the debug version of the server, but installing it is a bit more complex that I'd like to do at the moment, especially if someone has an easy fix.

To install the server, I downloaded the RPMs, converted them to DEBs for debian with the alien package, and used dpkg to install them. This update procedure has worked since 4.1.0. I remember at some point I did have to run a conversion program for permissions, but I don't believe that was necesary with this update. I am running a current (as of 2004-06-08 12:00-0500) installation of Debian testing/sarge.

Does anyone have any ideas or pointers?

Thanks,
Michael

Crash log:
Number of processes running now: 0
040708 10:16:10 mysqld restarted
040708 10:16:10 Warning: Asked for 196608 thread stack, but got 126976
040708 10:16:11 Warning: Can't open time zone table: Table 'mysql.time_zone_leap_second' doesn't exist trying to live without them
mysqld got signal 11;
This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this binary
or one of the libraries it was linked against is corrupt, improperly built,
or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning hardware.
We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help diagnose
the problem, but since we have already crashed, something is definitely wrong
and this may fail.

key_buffer_size=16777216
read_buffer_size=131072
max_used_connections=0
max_connections=100
threads_connected=0
It is possible that mysqld could use up to
key_buffer_size + (read_buffer_size + sort_buffer_size)*max_connections = 80383 K
bytes of memory
Hope that's ok; if not, decrease some variables in the equation.

thd=0x859ae38
Attempting backtrace. You can use the following information to find out
where mysqld died. If you see no messages after this, something went
terribly wrong...
Cannot determine thread, fp=0xbfffeb08, backtrace may not be correct.
Stack range sanity check OK, backtrace follows:
0x808bd47
0x82c79d8
0x82c8f47
0x82ca2ca
0x826eef4
0x80fae2a
0x80e6789
0x80e80fe
0x808d389
0x82d74f4
0x8048101
New value of fp=(nil) failed sanity check, terminating stack trace!
Please read http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Using_stack_trace.html and follow instructions on how to resolve the stack trace. Resolved
stack trace is much more helpful in diagnosing the problem, so please do
resolve it
Trying to get some variables.
Some pointers may be invalid and cause the dump to abort...
thd->query at (nil) is invalid pointer
thd->thread_id=0
The manual page at http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Crashing.html contains
information that should help you find out what is causing the crash.

Resolved backtrace: 0x808bd47 handle_segfault + 423 0x82c79d8 pthread_sighandler + 184 0x82c8f47 __pthread_unlock + 103 0x82ca2ca pthread_rwlock_rdlock + 234 0x826eef4 mi_rnext + 148 0x80fae2a index_next__9ha_myisamPc + 42 0x80e6789 __11GRANT_TABLEP8st_tableT1 + 1641 0x80e80fe grant_init__FP3THD + 526 0x808d389 main + 697 0x82d74f4 __libc_start_main + 212 0x8048101 _start + 33

--
Michael Johnson < [EMAIL PROTECTED] >
Internet Application Programmer, Pitsco, Inc.