Joshua,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joshua Chamas" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Newsgroups: mailing.database.myodbc
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2004 11:33 PM
Subject: RE: Concurrency Question

> Quoting Marvin Wright <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It suggests below to bundle transactions into one commit, at what point
does
> > this become unecessary ?
> >
> > For example I have 2 threads each doing 12,000 inserts in 1 commit each.
> > Would I really gain any performance if I did these 24,000 inserts in 1
> > commit only ?
> >

> I would not think this would make a difference, in fact you should test
this, as
> it may be that in fact bundling 24,000 at a time is slower than 12,000 at
> time.  I know that things can slow down when doing too much in one
transaction
> in Oracle for example, and InnoDB/MySQL might be similar.

big transactions do not slow down InnoDB. But, of course, if the application
is multithreaded and the clients compete for row locks, then having big
transactions will increase the risk of deadlocks and lock waits.

> Regards,
>
> Josh

please address these general MySQL questions to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Best regards,

Heikki Tuuri
Innobase Oy
Foreign keys, transactions, and row level locking for MySQL
InnoDB Hot Backup - a hot backup tool for InnoDB which also backs up MyISAM
tables
http://www.innodb.com/order.php

Order MySQL technical support from https://order.mysql.com/