Lopez David E-r9374c wrote:

matt

1) inserts using this format is much faster:
    INSERT INTO table (col1, col2) VALUES (val1,val2), (val3,val4)
   is much faster then single row insert. My experience is
   2.5 hrs vs.. 36 hrs.

2) The PACK_KEYS=1 may be hurting you. I've never used it.

3) There may be a cache somewhere that's to small. You'll
  have to do some digging in this area.

4) dup key ignore - what does that mean exactly?

5) what is your OS & rev, mysql rev.

Please post any suggestions that you find valuable so we can all learn..

david

If I understand it, pack_keys should help if your disk IO limited vs cpu limited, cpu is ususally near idle.

I increased the cache sizes, helped a little, but not much

delay_key_write=ALL
key_buffer_size=1000M
read_buffer_size=512M
record_buffer=512M

What would the syntax for that type of insert be?

I have a table with 30,000 records, I need to insert them into the main table with millions of records, I thought that insert into table select * from 2nd table would be the fastest way.

insert ignore will not insert a record, if it violates the primary key, I do this to keep duplicate records out of the system

windows 2003 and 2000 servers, mysql-nt 4.0.16 I tried the newer versions, but found bugs on all of them, I submitted them to the bug system.

I believe my bottleneck is reading the data to ensure the primary key is not violated, I see lots of read IO, but little write IO

Matt