>Consider replicating to some slave servers and dividing reads among them.

I already replicate to slaves, and sites will do read only queries off these slaves

99.9 % of the tables are read only anyway, the only tables we update or insert into, are very very small and fast.

These big tables are daily extracts from IBM DB2 sites, in ebcdic format, we archive the data and users then query our site which is faster, unless they start doing multiple query options, then things get slow.

If you query only one feild its FAST, but if you query two feilds, its slow, very slow, need multiple key per query support in mysql.