You need to first determine what the bottleneck is. If it's disk I/O that's slowing you down, then adding another instance of MySQL may actually hurt you. If that table is physically large, it's probably your disk subsystem holding you back. I don't know what you disk setup is like. For about $250 you could get two fast IDE disks and an IDE card and stripe the drives (RAID 0?). Move just the big table to the striped drives and that should eliminate disk contention and give you fast access to the table. Since it's static, you don't have to worry too much about losing everything if a disk goes bad. Meaning, keep a copy on another disk.