Kart v wrote:

>>If your not using the cpu fully, you definitely need to optimize
>>mysqld's settings and/or optimize your queries. Even if the cpu is
>>running full out, optimizing queries to examine fewer rows can help.
>
>Yes Ware, the CPU is not fully utilized. It shows just 10 -15%
>utilization. Could you provide some direction on how to optimize the
>mysqld's settings? will using my_huge.cnf will do or do we need to
>change any parameters?

[sorry, hit send too early]

This is a topic that could take pages of explanation:

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/hpmysql/

Are you running only on mysql on the box?  That's a big issue.  If so
start with my-huge.cnf and tweak based on your usage patterns and the
mysql manual.  At a start, give mysqld a lot of memory.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Server_system_variables.html

Next, look at your queries using explain statements.  You'll want to
write your queries/add indices/create summary tables until you get the
explains looking good.  This too is a complex area.  The mysql manual
has a lot of info to start with:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/EXPLAIN.html

Nothing will be fast until you utilize the cpu.

We've found mysql runs very well on the G5.  Our G5 XServe is about 2-4X
faster than a DP 1.42 G4 Tower, depending on query.  Some of that is the
chip, some the bus, some the extra memory the G5 can take.  It is of
course specific to our queries and setup.

--Ware