First, I should point out that the simplest course would be to download the precompiled binary from mysql. That said, I admit I like to build from source, largely because whenever things go wrong, I always learn something.

On first glance, I see a few problems:

1) You are running OS X 10.3.1, but current is 10.3.4. I don't believe that's the cause of the problem here, but there are some important security updates you are missing. I'd recommend running Software Update to install at least the security patches.

2) You appear to have Xcode 1.1, based on your gcc version. The error messages you are getting indicate that your system header files, which should be in /usr/include, cannot be found. Those are normally put in place by the Xcode installer along with gcc.

3) The second line is trying to compile with just `gcc -c`. If you use the recommended flags, you'd see `gcc -c -O3 -fno-omit-frame-pointer`. I'm guessing you haven't seen the configure recommendations in the manual <http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/MySQL_binaries.html>. Based on those, I've created a file named .config with the following contents:

CC=gcc \
CFLAGS="-O3 -fno-omit-frame-pointer" \
CXX=gcc \
CXXFLAGS="-O3 -fno-omit-frame-pointer -felide-constructors -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti"
./configure --prefix=/usr/local/mysql \
--localstatedir=/usr/local/mysql/data \
--with-extra-charsets=complex \
--enable-thread-safe-client \
--enable-local-infile \
--disable-shared

(My mail client is determined to wrap the CXXFLAGS line. You should unwrap it to one line.) The only change I've made relative to the mysql recommended settings is the --localstatedir path.

I've made .config executable (chmod +x .config), so each time I need to build a new version of mysql, I just copy .config into the source directory and run it with `. .config`. That saves me typing each time and keeps my settings constant across versions.

4) I expected to see "configure:5362: gcc -E conftest.cc", but your output shows "/lib/cpp" instead of "gcc -E". My config.log for mysql 4.0.20 contains no mention of /lib/cpp.

At this point, it's hard to speculate, but I'm wondering if perhaps you either didn't do a full install of Xcode or moved/deleted parts of it afterward.

I hope this is enough info to nudge you in the right direction. If not, let us know.

Michael

Ron Phelps wrote:

Environment:
OS: Mac OS X 10.3.1, client
mysql: 4.0.20
compiler: gcc version 3.3 20030304 (Apple Computer,
Inc. build 1495)

Symptom: Small section of configure log showing first errors
shown below. There is a lot more of this, too much to
post here. I've chopped the beginning and the end. I'm
wondering if the Mac OS X 10.3.1 client needs
additional development files (libraries, etc.)
installed because my box is the standard setup shipped
from Apple.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Ron

configure:2913: checking for gcc option to accept ANSI
configure:2974: gcc -c conftest.c >&5
configure:2935:19: stdio.h: No such file or directory
configure:2936:23: sys/types.h: No such file or
directory
configure:2937:22: sys/stat.h: No such file or
directory
configure:2940: error: parse error before '*' token
configure:2940: warning: data definition has no type
or storage class
configure:2959: error: parse error before "FILE"
configure:2959: error: `pairnames' declared as
function returning a function
configure:2959: error: parse error before "int"
configure:2977: $? = 1
configure: failed program was:
| #line 2920 "configure"
| /* confdefs.h. */
.
.
.
| Syntax error
configure:5362: /lib/cpp conftest.cc
./configure: line 1: /lib/cpp: No such file or
directory
configure:5368: $? = 127
configure: failed program was:
| #line 5348 "configure"
| /* confdefs.h. */
| | #define PACKAGE_NAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_TARNAME ""
| #define PACKAGE_VERSION ""
| #define PACKAGE_STRING ""
| #define PACKAGE_BUGREPORT ""
| #define PACKAGE "mysql"
| #define VERSION "4.0.20"
| #define PROTOCOL_VERSION 10
| #define DOT_FRM_VERSION 6
| #define SYSTEM_TYPE "apple-darwin7.0.0"
| #define MACHINE_TYPE "powerpc"
| #ifdef __cplusplus
| #include <stdlib.h>
| #endif
| /* end confdefs.h. */
| #ifdef __STDC__
| # include <limits.h>
| #else
| # include <assert.h>
| #endif
| Syntax error
configure:5436: error: C++ preprocessor "/lib/cpp"
fails sanity check
See `config.log' for more details.